It’s Spoil Your Dog Day and we’re celebrating with this Pupcake! Do you want to know a secret? Its really just a banana bread cake decorated with dog treats..but they don’t know that! This recipe is super duper easy to make and you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
All of the ingredients are natural but let’s talk dog-safe ingredients. We want to make sure your puppy pawty doesn’t take a wrong turn.
1 - Apple Sauce. A lot of apple sauce on the market today contains hidden ingredients like added sugar and food dyes. Make sure you are getting pure apple sauce only to ensure no gastrointestinal issues arise!
2 - Peanut Butter. This one you probably know by now, but we never mess around with the health of our besties. Many brands use xylitol to sweeten their PB, but this ingredient is highly toxic to dogs. Generally speaking, you always want to get unsweetened peanut butter for your canine collaborators.
3 - Greek Yogurt. Yogurt is another item that often contains added sugars and artificial colorants. Make sure to get plain yogurt and, even better, opt for the whole milk variety.
Now that you’ve checked that your ingredients are both tasty and safe, you’re just a few simple steps and 25 minutes to bake time away from becoming even closer to your furry friends!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup PRI Manuka Honey 100+
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened peanut butter
Toppings: dog treats
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and baking powder. Then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together manuka honey, apple sauce, banana, peanut butter, oil, and an egg.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry until a thick batter forms.
- Grease 2 - 4 inch pans and transfer the batter close to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on a drying rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, make your frosting by whisking greek yogurt and peanut butter with an electric hand mixer until you have a thick frosting.
- Place the cake layers on top of one another and frost your cake with an offset spatula. Use the remainder of the frosting to pipe on frosting and decorate with dog treats.
- Let your pup enjoy!
Before you go, we’re going to let you in on another fun way to use this recipe that is perfect for the dog days of summer. Simply combine all of the cake & frosting ingredients EXCEPT for the baking powder and flour. Spoon the mixture into silicon molds and freeze for individual treats.