Love Your Dog Day
February 20th is Love Your Dog Day 🐶 It’s a special day to all pet lovers because this holiday is dedicated to their fur babies! We all want our dogs to live the longest, healthiest life possible so one way to celebrate is by learning new ways to support your dog’s health naturally.
Manuka Honey is a superfood that is widely believed to be beneficial for both humans and dogs. Honey can be taken internally or applied topically, depending on the condition it’s being used to treat. We love our fur babies! So..Is Manuka Honey safe for dogs? Below are 5 amazing ways to use Manuka Honey that are too good not to share!
- Wounds - Known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, Manuka Honey was used for treating wounds. It kills bacteria and promotes healing. After cleaning the wound you can apply a thin layer of Manuka Honey on a bandage before putting it on the affected area.
- Skin - One of the common in dogs are hot spots, to prevent skin irritation you can use Manuka Honey topically as a spot treatment. The moisturizing and antibacterial properties can help reduce itchiness and promote healthy skin. Try dabbing a small amount of Manuka Honey on clean, dry skin and leave it on to dry.
- Prebiotic - Manuka Honey acts as a natural prebiotic. A healthy gut can strengthen the immune system and improve digestion. Prebiotic are essential and can help maintain the good bacteria in the gut.
- Added Immune Protection - The common health conditions for dogs are flu and kennel cough. The antibacterial and antiviral properties of Manuka Honey have been proven to work against a wide variety of harmful pathogens. It can naturally boost health and help relieve the symptoms.
- Oral Health - Yes! Manuka Honey can help treat gum diseases including gingivitis, bleeding, receding gums and dog breath with a regular oral hygiene regime.
What is so special about Manuka Honey? This is the only honey that exhibits non-peroxide activity due to the MG component only present at high levels in Manuka Honey. This makes honey unique because of antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It comes in a range of MGO ratings. The higher the number on the label, the higher the concentration of MGO. This will help you choose the best Manuka for your dogs.
The amount of Manuka your dog can take will depend on their size and health. Just like us humans dogs with diabetes, obese dogs, and puppies or less than one year old should not take honey orally. Here is the recommended dosing based on the size of your pet:
20 pounds or less - ½ tsp a day
20 - 60 pounds - 1 tsp a day
60+ pounds - 2 tsp a day
Go to Shoppri.com for our wide selection of Manuka Honey.