Vegetarian Chili With Manuka Honey
Everyone enjoys a nice hearty bowl of chili, what makes this chili recipe extra special is the added Manuka Honey! The great sweetness of honey helps balance the spice of the peppers. Give this Vegetarian Chili with honey recipe a try for your next dinner gathering.
- 1 package (15 oz.) firm tofu
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Pacific Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 oz.) red kidney beans undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Manuka Honey
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- Using a cheese grater, shred tofu and freeze in zippered bag or airtight container. Thaw tofu; place in a strainer and press out excess liquid.
- In large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir onion, green pepper and garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and crushed red pepper. Stir in tofu: cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Based on a recipe from: The National Honey Board