Air Fryer Honey Sticky Buns
Is there anything tastier and better smelling than a fresh baked sticky bun? We think not.
These sticky buns are gluten and dairy free too, but you can always use regular butter and such. The real star is the Manuka Honey because who says you can’t have your sticky bun and get your daily dose of immune support too?
These sticky buns are made healthier with spelt flour, and are sweetened with honey instead of refined-sugar. Instead of baking in the oven, we pop them in the air fryer for the perfect bake! Yum!
- 3 Cups spelt flour
- 3 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Cup almond milk
- 2 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp PRI Manuka Honey 5+
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil (Melted)
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp PRI Manuka Honey 5+
- 1.5 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 Cup pecans (Chopped)
- 1 Can coconut milk (We used @edwardandsons Native Forest)
- 1/3 Cup + 1 tbsp PRI Manuka Honey 5+
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Cup pecans (Chopped)
- In a small bowl, whisk almond milk and apple cider vinegar to create a dairy-free “buttermilk”. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes and then whisk in vanilla, coconut oil, and manuka honey.
- In a large bowl, whisk spelt four with baking powder. Then combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients aka the dairy-free “buttermilk”. Use a spatula and stir until you have a dough ball that is well incorporated.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper surface and spread some spelt flour on the parchment so the dough doesn’t stick. Roll out the dough into a rectangle with parchment paper between the rolling pin so it doesn’t stick.
- Next spread vegan slightly melted or room temperature butter across the rectangle, leaving a border at the edges. After the butter, spread honey. Next, sift 1.5-2 tablespoons of cinnamon over the butter/honey mixture. Finally top with crushed pecans.
- The next step is to roll the dough into a log. Use the parchment paper to help you roll the dough, make sure you press tightly to create a beautiful cinnamon roll texture and those drool-worthy layers.
- Use a thread or sharp knife to slice the sticky buns.
- The next step is to create the honey caramel. Bring coconut milk, manuka honey, coconut oil and vanilla to a boil in a saucepan. Give it a good sturn and let it boil on high for about 15 minutes until the mixture is reduced by half. Turn the heat down if you think it will boil over. Remove from heat, give it a good stir and let cool.
- Then in an air-fryer friendly baking pan (that will fit in your air fryer) place a round piece of parchment paper on the bottom. Pour the caramel on the bottom, then top with chopped pecans. Next, add your sticky bun dough. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes. Each air-fryer may vary so check periodically until cooked through. Remove from the air fryer, let cool and enjoy!