Shakshuka- Eggs In Spicy Tomato Sauce
Pacific Resources International brings you flavors from New Zealand. But west meets east with this traditional Mediterranean dish. Shakshuka is made with eggs poached in tomato sauce. Chili peppers, onions, and exotic spices from the Middle East are added for extra flavor. It originated in Tunisia and is popular in the Middle East and North Africa.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper (I use a bell pepper) thinly sliced
- 1 Chili pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 large tomatoes cut small
- Chipotle BBA Pacific Sea Salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper
- Large handful minced cilantro (if desired)
- 6 eggs
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet or straight-sided sauté pan over high heat. Add onion and red pepper. Cook, without stirring, until vegetables are brown approx. 6 minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and continue to cook for another 4 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add Chipotle BBA Pacific Sea Salt, Chili pepper, and cumin. Cook, until fragrant. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper and stir in half of cilantro or parsley.
Using a large spoon, make a well near the perimeter of the pan and break an egg into it. Repeat with remaining 5 eggs, working around the pan as you go. Season eggs with a little Pacific Sea Salt. Cover, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook until egg whites are set and yolks are still runny 5 to 8 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve immediately with crusty bread. 😋🍳😋