Dark Chocolate Orange Oats
When was the last time you enjoyed the classic combination of dark chocolate & orange? For us, it was always in the form of an orange-shaped chocolate in our Christmas stockings.
We developed our new orange Manuka Chocolate Patties to enjoy the feeling of Christmas morning year-round, and now it’s taken over our breakfast table!
Did you know that oatmeal is one of the best ways to start your day? Packed with nutrition and full of a soluble fiber called beta-glucan. This fiber helps control blood pressure & sugar levels, and insulin response and increases the growth of good gut bacteria.
Dark chocolate has been a popular superfood for many years, yet its benefits keep emerging. A recent study posted in the National Center for Biotechnology Information showed that dark chocolate is more effective in treating colds than vitamin C.
If you’ve been following along, you know that the active component of manuka honey, MGO, has a fantastic variety of antibacterial & anti-inflammatory health benefits.
That’s all a long way to say that this recipe is PACKED with everything you need to get your day started right! Here’s what you need:
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1 Cup of milk of choice
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1.5 Tbsp cocoa powder or cacao
- 1 Tbsp PRI Manuka Honey (add more to taste)
- 1 Scoop chocolate protein (optional)
- 3 Orange Manuka Chocolate Patties
- 1 Mandarin orange
- Garnish: Sprig of fresh mint, pomegranate arils (optional)
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl or saucepan except for the chocolate patties and mandarin oranges. Stir until well combined.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so it doesn’t stick to the sides. You can optionally cook in the microwave.
- Once cooked, immediately transfer to a bowl and top with Orange Manuka Chocolate Patties. Let the patties melt from the hot oatmeal, and then stir to create chocolate swirls. Top with mandarin oranges, pomegranate arils, fresh mint, or whatever you prefer!