Paleo Cherry Hand Pies
PSA: this month is National Cherry Month & Great American Pies month and the 20th is Cherry Pie Day!
With so many delicious holidays, how could we not celebrate?!? Since we know you’ll want to join us, we thought we’d give you a hand…...pie!
This recipe is also a great choice to make for your cutie pies on Galentine’s and Valentine’s Day. Too many pie puns? OK, moving on!
Of course, we had to make this classic healthier so we’ve reduced the standard sugar content with our Organic Raw Honey and added some delicious chia seeds to the filling. Up the health benefits even more by using our manuka honey.
These paleo hand pies are great for the beginner & expert baker alike and will be loved by your whole family. Make it dairy free with your favorite vegan butter for equally delectable results!
Paleo Cherry Hand Pies
A perfectly flakey totally paleo crust with a gooey honey chia cherry jam filling. Think of a pop tart mixed with a cherry pie, sweetened with raw Australian honey!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (add an extra 1 tbsp if the dough is too sticky)
- 1/2 cup butter (cold, 1 stick), sliced into 16 pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp PRI Raw Australian Honey
- 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp ice water
Honey Chia Cherry Jam Filling:
- 2 cup frozen cherries, slightly thawed
- 2 tbsp PRI Raw Australian Honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- The night before, prepare the dough for the curst. In a food processor, pulse almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut flour and cold butter. Keep pulsing until the butter is broken down into tiny pieces.
- Next add in the egg, honey, and coconut sugar. Add in 1-2 tbsp of ice water as needed to get the dough to come together.
- Form the dough into a round disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge overnight.
- In a saucepan, on medium heat combine frozen cherries with lemon juice and chia seeds. Stir often.
- Let the mixture cool down and add the honey. Bring to a quick simmer on high heat and turn off.
- Transfer to a jar and let it cool before assembling.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until you get your desired thickness. Stamp out the circles to your desired size with a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Keep repeating until you’re out of dough and you have an even number or circles.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and refrigerate the cut outs while it’s preheating.
- Next, to assembly, put in 1-2 tbsp of the jam in the center and cover with the top layer of dough. Pinch the edges together with a fork. Make sure to leave a border. Repeat until they are done.
- Cut little vents into the top of the hand pie so the don’t ooze out and brush with egg wash to get a crispy golden crust.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they are crispy golden brown. Rotate half way through to get an even layer of golden crispy goodness.
- Enjoy immediately and warm.
- Store in a closed container for 3 days and reheat in a toaster to enjoy!